Prep time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
- 60 g bulgar wheat
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of basil, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of rocket, finely chopped
- 1 small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 250 g halloumi, cut into thick slices
- Preheat a grill to 250 degrees. Prep all of the ingredients.
- Half fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Crumble in the stock cube and stir until it has dissolved. Add the bulgar wheat to the pan and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until soft.
- Line a tray with foil and drizzle a little oil onto it. Either lay the halloumi straight onto the tray or stick it onto skewers and then lay down on the tray (the latter makes in easier to turn them over but is not essential). Place the tray under the grill and cook for around 7 minutes, turning the halloumi over half way through, until it is has browned slightly.
- When the bulgar wheat is cooked drain the water in a sieve and then run cold water over it for a minute to cool it down. Shake off any excess water and then pour into a bowl. Add the tomatoes and herbs to the bowl along with the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) and stir until evenly combined.
- Lay the cooked halloumi on top or crumble it into the salad if you prefer. Serve with any leftover rocket leaves.
Follow Wish to Dish at Source: Tabbouleh and Grilled Halloumi Salad