Blueberry Muffins w/Crumb Topping
Makes 6 giant muffins that are, quite simply, da bomb!
- 1 1/2 cups flour (best with 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 unbleached white)
- 3/4 cup Sucanat, or other organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup applesauce, or vegetable oil
- 1 Flax Egg (see recipe below)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (plus extra milk or OJ as needed)
- 1 cup Blueberries, fresh or (defrosted) frozen
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup (over full) whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon non-dairy butter
- 3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
For the Flax Eggs:
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup water
1. To make the flax eggs: Grind flax seeds in a blender or food processor. Slowly add water and blend until it produces a gooey mixture. This makes 6 flax “eggs”. Refrigerate unused flax eggs in refrigerator for up to 6 days. (Be sure to clean out blender immediately!)
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 6 large muffin cups.
3. Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Pour the applesauce (or vegetable oil) into a 1 cup measuring cup, then add the flax egg (1 egg = 3 Tbsp. flax goo) and enough milk to fill the measuring cup. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. If batter is too dry, add more milk or some OJ to moisten. Fold in blueberries, then place the batter into the greased muffin tin.
4. To make crumb topping: Mix the sugar, flour, non-dairy butter and cinnamon until any large lumps are worked out. Sprinkle topping over muffin batter before baking.
5. Bake 15-20 minutes, until the topping and the tops of the muffins are golden. Allow to cool briefly on a wire rack before removing from muffin pan.